......just that we haven't got around to blogging lately!
It's been a busy few weeks. After a long wait - the referral was made in August 2012!! - Colin eventually got an appointment with the Neuropsychology department at Worcestershire Royal Hospital with a view to helping him deal with his memory impairment etc.
Following the first appointment, which was a 2 hours Q&A style analysis session, he has had 4 appointments made up of series of tests. These have included:
- memory of pictures - matching up what had been shown initially to what was being shown (originally 50 pictures!).
- memory of a list of words - and remembering them as above.
- varying degrees of mental arithmetic
- a type of vocabulary test - meanings of words
- memorising pairs of words which have no obvious links - like elephant and envelope.
- matching sequences of patterns - like the old IQ tests
- answering questions following being read stories etc.
Some of these he seemed to find very easy but some were very difficult.
Colin has another session this coming Tuesday, after which they will do a (computer) analysis of his answers to all the tests to complete the assessment. He awaits the results with interest! And to add to the excitement, this coming week is busy. The Gloucestershire Hammer Out meet Tues afternoon, and the Headway Occupational Therapist is making a visit on Thursday.
On a more sobering note, we have learnt that one of the other members of the Powick Ramblers, with whom Colin has had some good walks, has also been diagnosed with a brain tumour! We both wish him well following his surgery and whatever subsequent treatment follows. Colin has also heard of another gentleman living in Upton who recently collapsed with a brain tumour. Goodness - there's a lot of them around!
Colin and Jane